University of LucerneLucerne
The University of Lucerne is a research institution specialising in religious, social, cultural, legal and economic sciences. Situated in Central Switzerland it enjoys a beautiful location on the shores of Lake Lucerne and at the foot of Mount Pilatus.
Excellence in Research
The University of Lucerne places a special focus on interdisciplinary research between its faculties as well as promoting young talent. By integrating the latest research findings and introducing students to research from the very early stages of their studies, the University of Lucerne ensures that research remains its clearly defined principle. Excellent students are prepared for a potential academic career and provided with structured support. Advanced researchers promote young academic talents by setting stringent demands, creating room for exploration, permitting participation in research and teaching, delegating responsibility and facilitating mobility. Independent research scholarships for talented young academics at the University of Lucerne facilitate the funding of countless students and projects, and ensure active support of young researchers when submitting research applications at home and abroad. These funding schemes ensure high-quality and active research activity.
Highest standards in teaching
The study programmes at the University of Lucerne reflect the thematic focus on humanities, social sciences and law. Integrated courses combine all three disciplines against a backdrop of subjects that are relevant to society and research. Particular care and attention is given to the freedom of academic teaching. All necessary measures are taken to ensure that teaching meets the highest educational quality standards and takes full advantage of all opportunities for didactical and technological innovation.
- A personal atmosphere, motivated lecturers and an attractive range of courses
- An excellent student to professor ratio giving students the best opportunity to achieve academic success
- A new campus building, with an ultra-modern infrastructure, spacious lecture theatres, working areas and social environments
- An excellent university sports’ programme taking full advantage of Lucerne’s lake and mountains
- Prime location in a city that is consistently voted the most beautiful city in Switzerland by the Swiss
RESEARCH + TEACHING AREAS
- Economics, Political Science
- Historical and Cultural Sciences
- Communication Sciences
- Law, Criminology
- Medicine, Health
- Social Sciences
- Theology, Sciences of Religion
- Number of Bachelor programmes: 16
- Number of Master programmes: 27
- Number of PhD programmes: 13
- Number of programmes in continuing education: 13