University of LausanneLausanne
The University of Lausanne is a research institution focused on several academic disciplines, especially Medicine, Life Sciences, Geosciences, Environment, Business, Humanities and Social Sciences. It is situated in the heart of the French-speaking region of Switzerland.
In mountaineering, some routes are best avoided; yet knowing about them is as important as mastering the best and most promising. Researchers share with climbers the boldness to explore unknown worlds, and tenacity when faced with a reality that is not immediately evident and which constantly changes over time and according to conditions. Mistakes and tests contribute to a successful outcome, whose collective dimension does not prevent the emergence of individual talent suddenly crowned with glory.
The University seeks to attract such resourceful individuals, who will ask new, provocative and difficult questions. It has a duty to let them work free from outside pressures, in an environment respectful of the long maturation times research requires.
Genomics, Public Policy and Management, Geography, Psychology, Actuarial Science… UNIL offers a vast range of courses in both the human and natural sciences. Main university studies are at two levels: first, a three-year Bachelor degree course, followed by three to four semesters leading to a Master’s degree, either by specializing in a specific domain, or by undertaking interdisciplinary studies.
For those wishing to complement their training, doctorate and other post-graduate courses are available, which enable graduates to perfect their knowledge in targeted disciplines in their own sphere, or in related subjects, thus facilitating their entry into a chosen career.
- An international atmosphere.
- One fifth of the student population and almost half the teaching staff come from abroad.
- Up-to-date facilities and technology.
- State-of-the-art laboratories for researchers; spacious, well-equipped lecture halls for teaching staff and students.
- Three faculties unique in their kind in Switzerland.
- Law, Criminal Justice and Public Administration; Biology and Medicine; Geosciences and Environment. New innovations require new synergies.
- Close collaboration with the Lausanne University Hospital in order to remain at the forefront of advances in medical knowledge.
- The University and Cantonal Library – Lausanne, with its ten million documents, modern research tools and an ideal working environment overlooking Lake Geneva.
- A philosophy and work ethic expressed in a Charter of Values and precepts.
- An exceptionally green and spacious lakeside setting. In just a few minutes an excellent public transport network links the university campus to the city.
- A wide range of continuing education and interdisciplinary courses.
- Countless sporting and cultural activities, in fields as varied as soccer, capoeira, fitness or underwater diving at the Sports Centre; and cinema, exhibitions or theatre at the Grange de Dorigny.
RESEARCH + TEACHING AREAS
- Computer Science
- Economics, Political Science
- Historical and Cultural Sciences
- Language Sciences, Literature, Communication Sciences
- Law, Criminology
- Natural Sciences
- Medicine, Health
- Social Sciences
- Sports and Physical Education
- Theology, Sciences of Religion
- Number of Bachelor programmes: 15
- Number of Master programmes: 39 (also part-time)
- Number of PhD programmes: 26
- Number of programmes in continuing education: 68 (EMBA, MAS, DAS, CAS)